Thailand
Jeremy and Michelle got married in Thailand. Why? Because Thailand is halfway between Perth and Seattle, and makes for a fabulous holiday. I met up with Jer, Michelle, Josh and Elisa in Bangkok the weekend before the wedding and we played tourist and went to the dentist.
By tourist I mean Josh and I explored the “low cost housing” areas across from the tourist district one morning, eating our way through the narrow alleys. First we ate some lychee-looking things that I thought were amazing yellow fruit (long gang) that I’ve had before, but were the less-than-good Kool-aid berries. We disposed of these, and got in line for cooked thingies from this lady. We had NO idea what they might be, but hey, there was a line!
They were, in fact, delicious. And I still don’t know what they were – crepe dough, filled with pudding, and topped with green onions. Then we got Rambutans (hairy leeches) that a lady cut open for us using a knife that she had just sliced fish with. (Of course she wiped it clean on an old cloth first! Hygienic and Everything!). Then we found Mangosteens, which are my favorite fruit ever – purple husks on the outside, delicious white sweetness on the inside. We happened upon a doughnut shop, and then a coffee shop,though not located next to eachother.
I was convinced that I was going to be sick from such a delicious morning of dodgy food. But no, it was all good, and we hopped on the boat back to our side of the river.
As for the dentist, I mean the Dental Hospital in Thailand is cheap and excellent, such that it was worth half a day of my 3 day sojourn in Bangkok to get a checkup, cleaning and fillings, and for Jeremy, worth a whole day of his honeymoon to get a root canal.
We also all got massages, multiple times, because Thai massage is one of the wonders of the world.
The wedding itself was amazing. The festivities lasted almost a whole week full of dinners and games, beers, new friends and family time.
By tourist I mean Josh and I explored the “low cost housing” areas across from the tourist district one morning, eating our way through the narrow alleys. First we ate some lychee-looking things that I thought were amazing yellow fruit (long gang) that I’ve had before, but were the less-than-good Kool-aid berries. We disposed of these, and got in line for cooked thingies from this lady. We had NO idea what they might be, but hey, there was a line!
They were, in fact, delicious. And I still don’t know what they were – crepe dough, filled with pudding, and topped with green onions. Then we got Rambutans (hairy leeches) that a lady cut open for us using a knife that she had just sliced fish with. (Of course she wiped it clean on an old cloth first! Hygienic and Everything!). Then we found Mangosteens, which are my favorite fruit ever – purple husks on the outside, delicious white sweetness on the inside. We happened upon a doughnut shop, and then a coffee shop,though not located next to eachother.
I was convinced that I was going to be sick from such a delicious morning of dodgy food. But no, it was all good, and we hopped on the boat back to our side of the river. As for the dentist, I mean the Dental Hospital in Thailand is cheap and excellent, such that it was worth half a day of my 3 day sojourn in Bangkok to get a checkup, cleaning and fillings, and for Jeremy, worth a whole day of his honeymoon to get a root canal.
We also all got massages, multiple times, because Thai massage is one of the wonders of the world.

The wedding itself was amazing. The festivities lasted almost a whole week full of dinners and games, beers, new friends and family time.

1 Comments:
you've got a great wide angle view of the the wedding there, Alana It was an amazing day.
Post a Comment
<< Home