Wednesday, June 14, 2006

There Was A Riot On The Streets

The headline in today's newspaper said "Dhaka put under siege, streets turn into battlefields: 500 including senior leaders injured, cops surrender to mob, rail lines uprooted, vehicles set afire"

The "country situation" is not good, to say the least. It is strange that so much drama hardly affected me. I still went to the office all day and then across town to hang out with my friends in the diplomatic zone. It was a little hard to catch a cab and CNG, but generally I was not affected by the drama of the city I live in being under siege by the opposition party.

The next two days will be a hartal - a general strike. I may not leave the neighborhood till Wednesday evening around 6 pm, neither can anyone else. The office is closed, so people will work all weekend, both Friday and Saturday. But I will work from home tomorrow, since I don't have the distraction/demands of a family and I value my weekends too much.

I recently cancelled my summer trip to Sri Lanka because my parents asked me to. They heard about the civil war there and are worried for my safety. When I explained this to the family I was going to visit they laughed: "I have been praying for the safely of all of you guys in Bangladesh because we KNOW the danger that exists every time you go out the door!.....Well, if it makes your parents think you are safer to stay there than come here, I understand...but a corner of my mind says that you should come to Sri Lanka to be safe for a while"

Pray that peace and democratic process will prevail in the lead-up to the elections for the next few months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home