Friday, January 25, 2008

Cold clods, down at my feet

Its cold. Not cold like Chicago, where the snow piles are deep, and a warm jacket and proper shoes are a necessity. It’s barely cold…not cold enough for long enough to have to invest in appropriate clothes for the season. For example, I wore my flip flops to school today, even though the high was 50 and it was raining. You see my proper shoes would have soaked through during the 7 minute walk to the bus, making me miserable all day long. And, since they promise it’ll warm up in a few weeks, I can’t bear to buy shoes that will keep me warm and dry all day, I’d rather spend the money on a jazz show. So I’m cold instead.

I’ve taken to going out in full Bangladeshi regalia – Kameez/dress over my jeans, scarf/chador wrapped around my head and neck. It makes me laugh to don this costume voluntarily, I had thought I was done with it. Surprise! It’s in style these days, and people tell me it’s cute. More importantly, it does the trick- keeping me warm in this climate that is so familiar, excepting the rain on cold days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home