Tuesday, June 26, 2007

All the world's darkness can't swallow up a single spark

Last night was my big Goodbye party from the office. Representatives from all our partners were there, and each gave a long speech about me, and I gave a less long speech of thanks to each in return. Each partner gave me extravagant presents, 4 of which were bed coverings. "For when you get married," said the old woman sitting next to me when I opened the first one, and everyone giggled. Each speech included some comment, either sincere or as a joke about my coming back, with a husband. There were some Pretty High Expectations.

At the end of all the speeches and gifts I had to apologize. "I'm sorry, but I'm not going to get married, just because I have all these lovely bed covers. And if God doesn't send me a good husband, I will have to use these anyways."
The old lady beside me was horrified. "No, you just keep these put away until you get married. Though this one, this one you can hang on the wall."

1 Comments:

Blogger bri said...

apparently advice donors are all the rage down there, eh? haha. I can't imagine what you're all thinking right now as you go through all those going away parties and gift openings and chats.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home