Monday, May 19, 2008

A good run of bad luck

"We're sorry. Airport Shuttle has reserved you to be picked up at the wrong location. We will be unable to pick you up this morning. We will refund your credit card and you can take a taxi"

An unauspicious start, you might think, for a trip that will take a few days and deposit me on a new continent. My arms already ached from hauling 140 lbs of suitcases down the street to the shuttle stop and my shirt was a little wet from the workout in the warmth of the New Orleans morning.

I looked at the time and seen that the Tulane shuttle would go downtown in 5 minutes, and thought "It's not too late to take the public bus, and it will be cheap!" I shuffled my suitcases down the street to the shuttle stop and waited for the bus. 15 minutes later another woman, still waiting at the stop with me got off the phone and announced the bus was not comming. ARGH!

My options had narrowed. I bit the bullet and called a cab. I asked it to come to my location. After the requisite 10 minutes it passed me, with a guy in the back seat. "Did you call?" the driver asked. "Yup" "Well I have a passenger, another cab will be along shortly." How much bad luck can a girl get in one morning! The good news is that bad luck comes in runs of three, and I had just used up my third episode (hopefully).

After waiting a bit more I hunted down a cab on my own. He sailed through the morning traffic, dropping me off with time to spare. I checked my bags (not overweight), caught my flight, and was on my way. Rwanda here I come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home