The Trees of the Feild

I'm four hours by car, a ferry boat ride and 30 minutes by motorcycle north of Dhaka. The air up here by the Indian border, is sweet and fresh, as hot as Dhaka but without the bus fumes.I have arrived at the head office of the our partner organization with whom we work in the areas of justice and values formation. I am here to conduct a 5 day training on AIDS and Reproductive Health, with an emphasis on adolescents. It is a tall order, and I'm a little nervous about the abilities of my Bangla to withstand 5 days of teaching. Will the material be adequate for these experienced staff? Will it be too complicated for staff who are only high-school educated?
As I walked into the office I passed the cut down trunks of 6 trees. I asked the director why such grand trees were in pieces on the ground. "Those are to buy the new ultrasonogram for the hospital," he told me. The 60 year old trees would bring in over 200,000 taka, 2/3 the cost of the machine. "We will plant new ones," he assured me, "so that in another 60 years we can continue to run the hospital."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home