If you were in my movie
The Red Fort in Delhi is huge and beautiful. Soaring pavilions of sand stone and lovely marble palaces lie in perfect order with in the ramparts. However, the palaces are much more locked up than the Agra Red Fort. Tourists are forbidden access to the most beautiful buildings, including the baths and the mosque. Argh!I love to explore the buildings. To oh and ah over the scalloped marble and the arching doorways, and thus have a history of entering spaces I'm not supposed to go in. This time was a little tough, but I managed anyways.
One of the guards keeping everyone out came over and asked if he could take a picture of me with his phone. I shrugged, and scowled a bit, and he took the photo.
A few seconds later we came over to his building, the breathtaking rooms where the Mogul King lived. I grinned at the guard and said, "Can we please step over the rope into the palace and see the veranda?" He looked a little nervous, but went over to the other guard who said, "Ok, just for a minute."There we were, the only people in the elaborate marble palace, standing in the center of the room with the balcony where the king used to greet the sunrise each morning, the whole of Delhi before us.
We "oh"ed and "ah"ed appropriately, and as the guards got progressively more nervous, took some photos. By the time we crossed back to the side tourists belong on, other people had crossed the rope. The guards were immediately busy, chasing children and threatening adults, as Anna and I walked away laughing.
Later we crossed around towards the back of the palace compounds where there were no guards. Many of the marble pavilions had been defaced, the gemstone decorations had been pried loose, and only empty sockets remained where there had once been glorious water gardens. Looks like the guards are needed.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home