Sunday, June 25, 2006

Days of Miracle and Wonder


One of my favorite parts of living in Dhaka is all the immense cultural diversity found here. People from every continent, except Antarctica go to my church. I speak Spanish with a Mexican who sings with me in choir. I've learned that New Zealanders call a tank top a "singlet." Sometimes stuff gets lost in the accent. It gets embarrassing to ask my South African friend to repeat "pahty" for the 3rd time, because we pronounce "party" differently. But for the most part, it is excellent fun, and I love the juxtapositions of different cultures with each other.
For example, my Chinese-American friend threw a traditional Swedish Midsummer's Eve party complete with dancing around a Maypole singing Swedish songs on a roof at sunset in Dhaka. Was it strange, YES! But also it was a nice time of meeting the Scandinavians in Dhaka who enjoyed the challenge of preparing pickled herring flown in by diplomatic pouch from New York.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home