Pink, Pink, Pink, Pink Moon
I don't mean what I said about dreading new people. I enjoy meeting new people. I like getting to know them, hearing their ideas, learning what makes them laugh. I take pleasure in making them love Dhaka like I love Dhaka. I don't dread them, not at all.
Saying I don't like new people is like saying I don't like new music, which, if you know Alana at all, you know isn't true. A new person is like a new album. It is interesting to hear its rhythms and rhymes. It takes a few tries to see what kind of mood it fits. If it is a good album it will work its way into regular rotation until it fills my thoughts during boring meetings, and fits all my moods.
But it's hard to process a sudden influx of new music. It takes energy to wrap my mind around a new kind of music, a new style of beat. Getting too many new albums at once means it takes longer to discover the really good ones, since I want to give them all a chance. And sometimes I just want an album I know and already love.
Just as there are only a few albums that I wish I hadn't wasted time on, I appreciate almost everyone I have met here. Be it for a short three months, or the full 2.6 years I've been here. Some of these people like are an album that is fun for a bit, but I don't miss it if I forget to play it for a while, or delete it by accident. Others are like a favorite disk that gets lost. Its echo stay in my mind, and I know that when I hear it one day on the radio it'll be familiar as ever.
Saying I don't like new people is like saying I don't like new music, which, if you know Alana at all, you know isn't true. A new person is like a new album. It is interesting to hear its rhythms and rhymes. It takes a few tries to see what kind of mood it fits. If it is a good album it will work its way into regular rotation until it fills my thoughts during boring meetings, and fits all my moods.
But it's hard to process a sudden influx of new music. It takes energy to wrap my mind around a new kind of music, a new style of beat. Getting too many new albums at once means it takes longer to discover the really good ones, since I want to give them all a chance. And sometimes I just want an album I know and already love.
Just as there are only a few albums that I wish I hadn't wasted time on, I appreciate almost everyone I have met here. Be it for a short three months, or the full 2.6 years I've been here. Some of these people like are an album that is fun for a bit, but I don't miss it if I forget to play it for a while, or delete it by accident. Others are like a favorite disk that gets lost. Its echo stay in my mind, and I know that when I hear it one day on the radio it'll be familiar as ever.

2 Comments:
Should I dare to ask, what kind of disc am I (I meaning Christina)
You, Christina, would be "Hot Fuss." Upon discovery of it, we had it around incessantly. It's so much fun! Remember dancing on my couch? I was afraid it would break. That loss was devestating, but the pace was impossible to keep up. ;b
Post a Comment
<< Home