Sunday, August 20, 2006

Angels line my pockets

They are banging the drum and singing. The leader sings a line and the dancing crowd sings it back. One step in, sideways, back, sideways, the pulsing circle celebrates communally with its body, as hands clap and mouths are singing praise songs. They dance faster and louder, sometimes with hands in the air, then softer and slower, depending on the rhythms of the drums and the song leaders in the center.
The Kirton can go on for hours. On Christmas Eve they dance and sing all night, and during my first Easter here I participated in one that danced from pre-dawn until mid-morning. At weddings someone always breaks out the drums, and at the Committee's annual Partner's Meeting we always fit in a short one at the end of the cultural evening.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christina & Jake said...

Who are the Kirton? I missed out on that late night dancing, but definitely had plenty of experience with the tablas! C

6:51 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

The Kirton is the name of the circle dancing. It's mostly the Garo's that do it. I'm trying to scheme to be in a Garo area for Easter again, so that I can do it again. But Christmas-time is reserved for my friends who will be in Dhaka?

6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home