A Soul in Tension That's Learning to Fly

Dear Friends
I arrived back in Bangladesh in mid-May, refreshed from my visit to North America. Ever since I’ve been busy, trying to catch up with the things I missed while I was gone.
In late June all 42 staff from our urban program got together for a 3 day session to celebrate the successes of the last year, share our learning experiences and set goals for the next year. It is a time to renew friendships with staff from different working areas, meet new co-workers and look at the "big picture." New strategies, like tracking family incomes and using community health volunteers were examined and evaluated by all the staff. Our annual Plan Review Meeting gives everyone's voice a chance to be heard. It is exciting for all of us.
I have spent much of the last month in my office, researching effective methods of behavior change and then writing lessons and workshops. My favorite day of the month is when I meet with my peer educators who work directly with our adolescents. During our meeting they share their problems and successes.
For example, Supria shared how she gave a lesson to the Sujumki group. This was new information to many of these 15 year olds. They listened intently, and after the lesson asked many questions. Earlier these same girls had been too shy to discuss anything relating to sexuality, but now, after attending this group for 3 years, they can ask questions and get answers without shame. Supria and I hope that, having begun to talk about such things in their group, these girls can confidently share the things we have taught them with their friends in other settings.Tulona, the woman in whose house this group meets, overheard the family planning lesson from the other room. Supria's lesson to the adolescents explained that women should not become pregnant before they are 20, as they are not mentally or physically ready to support children. She shared that children and their mothers are healthier when the babies are born at least 2 years apart. She also explained the different birth control methods that can be used, and where they were available. Tulona had never used any sort of birth control. She knew about it vaguely, had heard rumors about side effects, but never had understood it before. After hearing the lesson Tulona decided to go to the clinic and use family planning methods for herself. We are proud of Tulona, because it takes courage for a woman in Bangladesh to take responsibility for her future and that of her family.
Forida is an older teenager in Sujumki group. Some time after Supria's lesson on family planning, another organization held a training session to train community women to talk to others about family planning. Forida remembered the keen interest of the adolescents during Supria's lesson and decided she would like to be a resource for her peers on family planningHaving received this extensive training on family planning Forida can now advise her peers, especially young married teens who often fall through the cracks of traditional family planning programs. Supria shared her joy that Forida is using values and communication skills she learned in our group to bring change to her community. These stories make me excited about my work. It renews my energy for sitting in my office, writing and translating the lessons that will later be taught to the teenagers.
June marked the end of my 2.5 year internship with the Committee. As I have already shared with many of you, I have agreed to stay in Bangladesh for another year. As of July, I have been working as the Adolescent Development Advisor. I will help the urban partner's program continue to develop, but am also helping our other partners develop adolescent programs. I will also focus on promoting HIV & AIDS awareness, including an initiative to raise awareness in churches associated with our partner organizations.
This expansion of my work will be challenging. My skills in the Bangla language will need drastic improvement as my activities take me out of the capital city and into areas where English is less understood . I will learn to advise organizations on how to integrate new information with their existing adolescent programs. I will have to work faster and more efficiently to maximize the help I can give our partner organizations. These challenges excite and intimidate me. I appreciate your prayers and support as the Committee and I expand our work with the young people of Bangladesh.
Alana

2 Comments:
"Condition grounded, but determined to try. Can't keep my eyes from the circling skys Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit I"
I couldnt figure out why that heading was bothering me. I figured it out.
I'm Glad you had fun in India. Some of the people on my floor said that it would be hot in India this time of year. Its an interesting connection to you.
Aw, does that mean you don't get "Kings Amoung Runaways" (The Decemberists), "The Blessed Grace of Waking Up"(Will Oldham/Palace Music), or "No one knows what happens next" (John Vanderslice)? My Dear little brother, it seems our musical tastes have diverged. And you might like John Vanderslice.
India is great. The north is hotter than the South we visited. And the trains move fast enough to ensure a breeze in through the windows.
Post a Comment
<< Home