My Arms Enfold These Seas
There is a sign at the entrance to the beach that says "It is dangerous to swim in the sea. To do so means to commit suicide." We didn't notice the sign till we had been in and out of the surf a few times. It is monsoon and the waves are rough and stormy. It's not a clear sunny sky, but a cast-over one that spits rain occasionally. Annabel and I, water-babies that we are, don't mind. We find a place where the riptide is less and run pell-mell down the beach in our swimsuits and dive under the boiling pile of surf. The waves push and pull our limbs as we duck, dive, bodysurf, somersault in the water. A crowd of men gather on the beach to watch. We're annoyed - men! Do they thing they are getting "Spring Break Chicks Gone Wild?" or are they just worried for our safety? Since they observe accutely all the way until we have come on shore, gotten dressed and walked away it's probably the first one. Argh! But the fun of the water is worth it. (Later we wear T-shirts in the water, they stare equally as much.)
The sun was setting one evening as we played in the waves. Clouds hid the horizon, but difussed the light so that the air was soft gold, then pink, then purple. Diving in the surf and wrestling the waves, I felt like a mystical creature on another planet. It was breath taking.
Annabel and I both had a serious wash through the spin cycle. Hers was when she ran into the gaping maw of 3 cumulative waves about to crash simultaneously to rescue the shoe of a stranger. It ate her alive, and the next one caught her too. Mine happened when I tried to body surf a too-big wave and got my face slammed into the ground as my heels fliped the wrong way up above my head. I was terrified I had broken something, and needed Annabel's help to get back to shore.
These experiences shake us, leaving us breathless and over adrenelined, stunned back up on the beach. The ocean is so friendly, but also dangerous. It gives me a tremendous sense of mastery and harmony with nature, but also leaves me aware of my vulnerability and frailty. 7.5 days of traveling for 2-ish days in the water was completely worth it. The rest- our amazing meals, reading, conversation, shopping and cultural experiences is just gravy.
For more of our excellent adventure, and pictures, see Annabel's blog. Click Anna-bella under my friends.
The sun was setting one evening as we played in the waves. Clouds hid the horizon, but difussed the light so that the air was soft gold, then pink, then purple. Diving in the surf and wrestling the waves, I felt like a mystical creature on another planet. It was breath taking.
Annabel and I both had a serious wash through the spin cycle. Hers was when she ran into the gaping maw of 3 cumulative waves about to crash simultaneously to rescue the shoe of a stranger. It ate her alive, and the next one caught her too. Mine happened when I tried to body surf a too-big wave and got my face slammed into the ground as my heels fliped the wrong way up above my head. I was terrified I had broken something, and needed Annabel's help to get back to shore.
These experiences shake us, leaving us breathless and over adrenelined, stunned back up on the beach. The ocean is so friendly, but also dangerous. It gives me a tremendous sense of mastery and harmony with nature, but also leaves me aware of my vulnerability and frailty. 7.5 days of traveling for 2-ish days in the water was completely worth it. The rest- our amazing meals, reading, conversation, shopping and cultural experiences is just gravy.
For more of our excellent adventure, and pictures, see Annabel's blog. Click Anna-bella under my friends.

1 Comments:
Im trying to not be a stalker...
Post a Comment
<< Home