Sunday, December 24, 2006

Different names for the same thing



Sweet Potato Manti Pitta
2 kg sweet potatoes
1 kg brown cane sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
Water to make it barely wet.

Squish the above with your fingers till it is the consistency of slightly wet mashed potatoes
Add 4 kg of sifted rice flour and water.
Work it together until it is a little wetter than bread dough, just dry enough to stick together. Form the dough into little doughnut-hole sized balls, slightly flattened. Deep fry in oil, like olibollen.

The power went out at sundown, as it had every night since I arrived at Didi's house to celebrate Christmas. We sat around on the floor of the dining room arm deep in flour, rolling pitta balls. Pitta are the Bangaldeshi equivalent of Christmas cookies.
"If it's too much work for you, you can stop" "I'm OK, I'll stop if I'm tired."
All week Didi had forbidden me to help, banishing me to the veranda with my book while she and her minions cook curries, serve guests and clean up. Perhaps it's because the first time I tried washing dishes on the ground out of a bucket, using hay as a washcloth I broke a plate. Then, whenever I offered to help she'd say "Just wait till we make pitta, then you can help."
You can bet I rolled pitta until I had finished the entire big bread bowl full of dough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home