Friday, December 22, 2006

Sleep in heavenly peace

"Do not expect too much," Didi says, "we are poor people." Didi is quite well off, with a cement house, acres of gardens, a shed full of cows and her eldest son's family living on her compound. I had come up to Birisiri for my Christmas holiday. My supervisor's sister invited me to spend Christmas with her family and see how the Garos celebrate. "Please excuse my simple food, we are simple people" The table held 2 vegetable dishes and 2 different chicken curries. "Somehow I think I manage."

Almost all the Garo's are Christian, and so is one of the largest demographics in Bangladesh to celebrate Christmas. I had been looking forward to a few days of rest and Christmas cheer and Didi's house is about the most perfect place to do that in Bangladesh.

(She and my driver are in her garden/farm holding the vegetables she sent back to Dhaka with me.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home