Saturday, December 23, 2006

Once upon a time you dressed so fine


"You can't wear that around the house" Didi told me as I walked into the dining room. I was wearing my oldest, plainest Dokmanda, though since I only wear Garo/Maundi Clothes in Garo/Maundi areas, my oldest Dokmanda had only been worn a couple times, and since this one had been a gift, it was rather nice. "You may wear that dokmanda for any occasion, not for everyday wear." Didi sent her daughter-in-law off for a doksari, a pretty patterned piece of cloth to wrap over my petticoat. This was everyday wear. Now I have shopped for and own my own doksari's, though I don't know what I will do with them since I can't wear them in Dhaka.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just re-reading your Christmas posts over here, with the snow and some jazz and a glass of w*ne. :)

You paint such vivid pictures, and your photos are great. Boy, I miss you! When are you coming to U of Toronto again?

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home