If it makes you happy
When I got back from the park this morning there was an old lady in front of the office, across the street from my house. I guessed she was Hindu, from her white sari with the blue border, a widow perhaps. She was plucking the hibiscus flowers off the bush in front of our office. With her long stick with a hooked nail on the top she could reach well beyond the wall. I watched her pick 5 of the most beautiful ones before I walked over.
"Oh Ma, what are you picking these flowers for?" "I need them for puja" A-Ha! I was right, she is Hindu. She needs them for worship. I reach up to pick one above my head, but she beamed at me from her toothless face and said "No, that one's not good enough."
She asked me where I live, and I told her this was my office. She said "Oh, can I come in and pick the rest of the flowers?" "No, the inside ones are to make the office pretty." "Oh, alright" Then she went off down the street with her big picking stick and I went home for breakfast.
"Oh Ma, what are you picking these flowers for?" "I need them for puja" A-Ha! I was right, she is Hindu. She needs them for worship. I reach up to pick one above my head, but she beamed at me from her toothless face and said "No, that one's not good enough."
She asked me where I live, and I told her this was my office. She said "Oh, can I come in and pick the rest of the flowers?" "No, the inside ones are to make the office pretty." "Oh, alright" Then she went off down the street with her big picking stick and I went home for breakfast.

1 Comments:
Super story. I can see what happened so easily in my minds eye. I thought your answer no was great and the thought that she had to have the best flowers. The adage it never hurts to ask was her motto. Dad
Post a Comment
<< Home