Sleeping is Giving In
With the end of January, I enter in to my last 6 months in Bangladesh, or should I say Asia, as I have 3 trips "out" scheduled between now and July. This is a thrilling concept. Sometimes thrilling as in EXCITING, I can't wait to see what's next. Other times thrilling like that terrifying twist in your gut that usually only appears at the top of roller coasters, before that uncertain plunge.
What are you doing next? Where are you going back to? Like a bad re-run of college I don't have any answers to these questions. I could go back to Washington and get a job, or go to school in Louisiana. Better yet I could camp out on the beach at Tofino for a few months before giving in to Ali and moving to Toronto for a year. Work on "being more Canadian" if you will. Or move to North Carolina so that I could get instate tuition if I go to UNC (save $20,000 over 2 years) Then I could go to school next year, not missing all the funding deadlines that have already passed this year.
Ah, but I should be taking full advantage of the time I have left here where I am. In the next several months I have 3 - 3 day workshops to teach, innumerable field visits, several monitoring systems to set up and my first experience as a program evaluator. And trips to India, Nepal and Vietnam, two of which are for work.
What are you doing next? Where are you going back to? Like a bad re-run of college I don't have any answers to these questions. I could go back to Washington and get a job, or go to school in Louisiana. Better yet I could camp out on the beach at Tofino for a few months before giving in to Ali and moving to Toronto for a year. Work on "being more Canadian" if you will. Or move to North Carolina so that I could get instate tuition if I go to UNC (save $20,000 over 2 years) Then I could go to school next year, not missing all the funding deadlines that have already passed this year.
Ah, but I should be taking full advantage of the time I have left here where I am. In the next several months I have 3 - 3 day workshops to teach, innumerable field visits, several monitoring systems to set up and my first experience as a program evaluator. And trips to India, Nepal and Vietnam, two of which are for work.

2 Comments:
Alana,
I don't know the wisdom of saying you are never going back to Asia or that you are leaving because God has a very funny sense of humor and who knows.
Another thought. God knows where you are going to be. He cares. Trust that He will place you somewhere that is just right for you. Dad
Dad,I don't mean to say I'll never go back to Asia, in fact I'd be surprised if I didn't get back to this vast and exciting continent. I meant to imply 6 months left of this stint.
Annabel, I don't feel sorry for meself, but last week (when this was written) I felt rather overwhelmed by it all.
Post a Comment
<< Home