A Roving, So Late Into the Night
The commute from Old Dhaka where our projects are to Gulshan, the posh side of town is fascinating. I love Dhaka at night.

Madam, popcorn? At every intersection there are boys selling popcorn. Some of my foreigner friends love this street popcorn - hot and crunchy. I remain skeptical. Was it cooked in industrial grade oil? Will I be sick all day tomorrow? I wave off the boys, but when the first one found out that I had taken the second one's picture, he came back to get his taken too!
Do commuters look the same on every continent? Some staff who live in my neighborhood and work in Old Dhaka say they spend an hour and a half on the bus each way, a trip that takes 20-30 minutes early on a traffic-less weekend morning. Tonight every second vehicle on this jam-packed road seems to be a bus, moving millions of Dhaka-ites about in the most economical way possible.
I'm in a CNG (Compressed Natural Gas run vehicle). In front of us is a telegari, a long bamboo platform that swivels around a set of wheels. Way in the blurry front you can see a man pulling it, while the man who sits on top was probably pushing behind all day as they transported iron rods or ball bearings, toilets or furniture around the city.

Madam, popcorn? At every intersection there are boys selling popcorn. Some of my foreigner friends love this street popcorn - hot and crunchy. I remain skeptical. Was it cooked in industrial grade oil? Will I be sick all day tomorrow? I wave off the boys, but when the first one found out that I had taken the second one's picture, he came back to get his taken too!
Do commuters look the same on every continent? Some staff who live in my neighborhood and work in Old Dhaka say they spend an hour and a half on the bus each way, a trip that takes 20-30 minutes early on a traffic-less weekend morning. Tonight every second vehicle on this jam-packed road seems to be a bus, moving millions of Dhaka-ites about in the most economical way possible.
I'm in a CNG (Compressed Natural Gas run vehicle). In front of us is a telegari, a long bamboo platform that swivels around a set of wheels. Way in the blurry front you can see a man pulling it, while the man who sits on top was probably pushing behind all day as they transported iron rods or ball bearings, toilets or furniture around the city.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home