I Lift My Eyes Up To The Mountains
I'm back from my hike (aka trek, or tramp, depending on the person you're talking to). It was a strenuous 6 days. It was absolutely beautiful and lovely to hike up the valley along the ridges up to the snow.
Everything in Nepal is very very steep. 45 degrees up or down with very little in between. Almost every day we acended 1000 meters and many days we decended that much too.
I had bought new boots, because I had quite certainly gotten a stress fracture on my left foot 2 weeks earlier playing frisbee. My boots gave me blisters and sore ankles, but I was soooooo glad I had them. My supposed stress fracture gave me no problems at all but by the middle of the 2nd day my ankles hurt so bad, Annabel suggested I get a porter to carry my pack. I did and it helped tremendously. We hired a porter for both our packs for the 3rd and 4th days, and carried them again on the 5-6th days.
When we got up to the top of the valley, where we had planned to cross the pass it was snowing and hailing. It was so cold! The porter was in flip flops and still going faster than us. Between my feet and our lack of snow equipment and experience we decided to continue around the valley, instead of up and over the mountain to the frozen lakes. Thanks to Annabel for that bit of common sense where mine was obviously lacking.
So now we are back in Kathmandu 2 days early. Lots of time for sight seeing and shopping and eating! When Annabel returns to Bangladesh on Sunday, I will fly to the mountain town of Pokhara for 2 days, then continue to the animal reserve at Chitwan for 2 days, flying out to Bangladesh on Friday.
Everything in Nepal is very very steep. 45 degrees up or down with very little in between. Almost every day we acended 1000 meters and many days we decended that much too.
I had bought new boots, because I had quite certainly gotten a stress fracture on my left foot 2 weeks earlier playing frisbee. My boots gave me blisters and sore ankles, but I was soooooo glad I had them. My supposed stress fracture gave me no problems at all but by the middle of the 2nd day my ankles hurt so bad, Annabel suggested I get a porter to carry my pack. I did and it helped tremendously. We hired a porter for both our packs for the 3rd and 4th days, and carried them again on the 5-6th days.
When we got up to the top of the valley, where we had planned to cross the pass it was snowing and hailing. It was so cold! The porter was in flip flops and still going faster than us. Between my feet and our lack of snow equipment and experience we decided to continue around the valley, instead of up and over the mountain to the frozen lakes. Thanks to Annabel for that bit of common sense where mine was obviously lacking.
So now we are back in Kathmandu 2 days early. Lots of time for sight seeing and shopping and eating! When Annabel returns to Bangladesh on Sunday, I will fly to the mountain town of Pokhara for 2 days, then continue to the animal reserve at Chitwan for 2 days, flying out to Bangladesh on Friday.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home